Lewis and Clark District
District Roundtable and Meeting
LDS Stake Center, 1015 15th Ave S
April 2, 2013
- Roundtables 6:30-7:30 p.m.
A. Boy Scout – Working with/for your Chartered Organization.
B. Cub Scout – How Unit Commissioner and Chartered Organization fit into your program.
2. The meeting was opened at 7:35pm, OA (Tanner) led in the Pledge of Allegiance.
3. The minutes of the March meeting were approved
4. Welcome, Introductions and Recognitions – Two new attendees were introduced at the meeting, Wendy Barney from Choteau and Charlie Summers from Troop 12. Deb Kemper was also recognized for her leadership of the Food Drive.
5. Old/New Business
A. Election of District Officers – The slate of officers for the 2013 district elections were approved. Congratulations to Bill Rutten for his second year of leading the Lewis and Clark District!
B. Upcoming Events – Trail to First Class will be April 12-14th at Log Gulch Campground at Holter Lake (same location as the previous years). There is no fee for the camp unless you would like a patch. If you want a patch the cost is $5, please bring cash for the patch to the camp. MT Council Annual Meeting is Friday and Saturday April 26th and 27th. The Council Annual Meeting isn’t always held in Great Falls, so this is a great opportunity to attend and meet Council leadership. If you can’t attend the entire meeting, but want to attend a portion, then Friday night is when you want to be there! Friday night is the council recognition dinner. It will be held at the cafe in the McLaughlin Center (UGF campus). The theme for the evening will be a beach party and it promises to be a ton of fun! Registration and details can be found on the council website here:
The District Awards Banquet will be Friday May 3rd at 6pm at the First United Methodist Church (downtown, across from Perkins). New this year, the banquet will not be a potluck – the food will be catered by our own Scouter extraordinaire Bob Dowdy! Please RSVP to Deb Kemper at email@example.com or at 799-6620. The Spring Camporee is May 17-19th at the Cobb Ranch (former Scoutana site). There will be prizes, a Scout will even win a GPS during the campout. Details for the camporee are here:
Cub Day Camp is June 11-14th (Tuesday through Friday). “Weird Science” is the theme this year. There will be 20 activity stations and we still looking for volunteers. We need lots of help to pull this camp together. One exciting development is that NOAA will be conducting a station on weather this year! Youth registration forms are now available on the blog. If you have questions, please call Ken Roberts at 952-1769.
C. Upcoming Training – Outdoor Leader training will be conducted at the Trail to First Class campout. Call Wade at 868-7892 for details. Wood Badge is two weekends at K-M May 16-18th and June 6-8th. Bill is attending and is challenging other leaders in our district to join him. Bob Dowdy is serving on staff. Registration and additional info is on the Council Website. NYLT is June 23-29 at either Grizzly Base or K-M, please register on the Council website.
D. Advancement – There were 3 project approvals last month.
E. Other Committee Reports – Spring Membership drive is coming up. The focus will be on this years’ Kindergarten classes. Jeff will have the details out as they become available. The FOS fundraising breakfast was a huge success! We raised a little over $12,000 dollars in an hour. It was professional, well executed, and the feedback was great. Thank you to Dr. Charles Jennings for your efforts.
6. District Executive Report – We are pleased to announce that our district has two recipients of the Silver Beaver award this year! Deb Kemper and Aaron Weissman are both being recognized for their time spent Scouting by receiving the highest honor available to a volunteer. Both Deb and Aaron are exceedingly deserving of this award and it is great to see our District so well represented. They will be presented their awards at the Silver Beaver dinner on Saturday night, 4/27, at the Annual Meeting.
7. District Commissioner Report – There will be a Commissioner Meeting on Saturday during the Council Annual Meeting. Rex would love to see a great turnout of Commissioners from the Lewis and Clark District in attendance.
8. District Chair Report – Bill was ill and not in attendance.
9. Other Business – There is a Camp Rotary clean-up scheduled for May 11th. The Rotary Club has been very kind to us in recent years allowing use of their facility and we are being asked as an organization to help clean the grounds so that they will be able to mow this spring. If you have questions about helping, please call Aaron at 868-8982.
10. Adjournment. Next Meeting May 7, 2013, 6:30 p.m. at LDS Stake Center, 1015 15th Avenue South.