Lewis and Clark District
District Roundtable and Meeting
LDS Stake Center, 1015 15th Ave S
January 8, 2013
- Roundtables 6:30-7:30 p.m.
A. Boy Scout – Merit Badge Counselor Recruiting/Youth Retention
B. Cub Scout – Bullying Prevention
2. The meeting was opened at 7:35pm, OA led in the Pledge of Allegiance.
3. The minutes of the December meeting were approved
4. Welcome, introductions and recognitions – There were three leaders in attendance that were new to the district meeting, plus members of the council board. Bill had everyone in the room introduce themselves. Everyone welcomed the leaders from 1047, 1155, and 1151. Bill also introduced Gordon Rubard (Scout Executive) and Art Simms (Council FOS chair).
5. FOS Presentation – Gordon Rubard, Scout Executive – Gordon ran through the power point and answered questions from everyone about FOS. The new council FOS was also shown for the first time to the district.
6. Old/New Business
A. Upcoming Events – At this point, Unit Recharters are overdue. Please make it a top priority to complete if you haven’t yet done so; Merit Badge Pow Wow is Saturdays 1/12 and 1/26. Flag ceremony is a 7:30am and classes are done at noon. It was pointed out the there as address error on the form about MB pow-wow. The LDS church is at 1401 9th ST NW; Klondike is 1/18-1/20. Forrest went over the details and assured everyone that the parking will better this year for the Klondike. We also should have use of the bathrooms at camp, so Porta-potties may not be necessary.; Scout Sunday; Scout Shabbat; Pinewood Derby – Paris Gibson Education Center is not available for Derby Days. We are looking for another venue; Scouting for Food – we are still looking for someone to volunteer to be the coordinator for Food Drive.
B. Upcoming Training – Winter Survival (Pow Wow) – Wade will be conducting a winter weather camping training course for anyone interested. The training will take place at the MB pow-wow while the boys are in classes; Leader Specific – Info will be coming out very soon; Wood Badge – there are still lots of openings for adult leaders to take Wodbadge. If you are interested, please review the Montana Council website or call Kyle at 868-5648.
7. Committee Reports
A. Camping Committee – everyone is looking forward to a fun Klondike Derby!
B. Training Committee – see training listed above under upcoming training
C. Programs Committee – Merit Badge Pow Wow – Lonnie would like all Troops attending to bring their Troop flag. He is going to line them all up on the stage. All boys attending need to bring their own MB worksheets. MB worksheets can be found here: http://lcdistrictcommittee.wordpress.com/2012/12/28/merit-badge-pow-wow-2/mb_powwow_flyer/; Pinewood Derby – Jeff would also like every unit to bring their flag to the Pinewood Derby. We are looking for a new location for this year. Also a reminder that all split hull boats will race int he catamaran category. ; Scouting for Food – still looking for a coordinator for Deb to teach.; Cub Day Camp – the theme this year will be “Weird Science”. Still looking for a Program Director. Boy Scouts can help if they are 14 or a First Class Scout.
D. OA – Dues were due December 31st. $10 dues can be paid at the Scout Office. When paying dues, please ask for Michelle.
E. Other Committee Reports – Eagle Board – 1 final and 2 preliminary approvals last month.
8. District Executive Report – Kyle thanked everyone for a great year and great results.
9. District Commissioner Report – Commissioner mtg will held on 1/10 at 7pm in the basement of the Scout Office.
10. District Chair Report – Keith Hasbrouck has started a new Venture Crew. He is planning on visiting Troops to discuss Venturing when they are done with Boy Scouts.
11. Other Business – We will be holding Venturing training 1/29. Prerequisites to take the Venturing training are Youth Protection and Venturing Fast Start. The new Venture Crew, Crew 8, will be holding an open house on 1/28 at the Moose Lodge in Black Eagle at 6:30pm. There was a an excellent suggestion to look into adding Merit Badge books to the Great Falls Public Library. We also drew door prizes for the attendees. Some of the prizes included a compass, emergency kit, and binoculars.
12. Adjournment. Next Meeting February 5, 2013, 6:30 p.m. at LDS Stake Center, 1015 15th Avenue South.
There was great attendance at the meeting. 36 people were present!